Friday, August 29, 2008

Prayer for rest and strength

God, forgive me for letting the hours go by without a centering thought, without a prayer. I forget that life is not about deadlines and impatient staff or students in crisis. It's about relating to each one and making a connection and remembering, as least for little bits of time, who I am and who are the people I love and need to think and pray about. Like Ashley.

Yesterday evening Ashley was already showing the ravages of chemo and having her arm poked dozens of times to put a "line" for the vitamin C. She was also worn out by the friends that are just finding out that she is sick again and can hardly hold themselves together until walking out the door. It's so exhausting to tell people and console people, even for me, and I'm not the one fighting for my life. Please, God, give Ashley rest and healing. Give her the strength to organize well-wishers and put them to work or to send them home when she needs to. Including me. Help her to feel the comfort of a soft bed and a soft pillow and a warm blanket and peace and quiet.

God, thank you for the couple that brought food to Ashley last night. The food was exactly what Ashley needed and the enthusiasm with which Sunny ate and pronounced it "fantastic" was a blessing. These women did more than feed Ashley nourishing food. They nourished her soul.

Today, I pray for rest and strength. Bless Ashley and surround her with your love. Amen

No comments: