Monday, August 25, 2008

Getting Specific

I'm glad Matthew made Ashley laugh. I knew Ms. Hertle had to be an inside joke, and apparently it is a good one.
I went by Ashley's today to report on the errands I had run at her request. The report from the Vitamin C infusion is positive. Few (and short-lived) miserable side effects. Renewed hope. More of it tomorrow. While Ashley and I went over lists, Benji helped Sunny select pictures for a collage. Or at least they laughed at the pictures together, though from Benji's description, none would be suitable for Sunny's folder. There's the one where Sunny and Sofia are laughing hysterically on the porch...stark naked. Of course they're only about one year-old, but you wouldn't want that on you school folder. Then there's the picture of Sunny spreading about half a bottle of sun screen all over herself. Benji (17) and Sunny (11) were laughing like old folks looking at the "good ol' days." It seems like yesterday, but it also feels like a lifetime ago. So much living in so little time.

So, I'm going to pray very specifically tonight. Whether you light a candle or sound a bell,please join me,

Spirit, help Ashley respond to the vitamin c treatment. We pray for amazing results. We bless the doctor who is treating her and ask for wisdom and insight for the medical professionals who are working with her this week. Guide Ashley as she makes decisions. Help her to feel the healing and the hope as her body responds. Provide the means to pay for this treatment.

Ashley needs a new dish washer. I pray for one of those wonderful coincidences that count as miracles in my book, where somebody knows somebody who is getting rid of an almost-new dishwasher. God, I believe that the miracle of the loaves and fishes could be repeated in any church or synagogue today... if we each presented you with what we have, it would be enough. When your people are moved to generosity, there is enough. I pray that Maggie will find a good dishwasher at the Habitat store, or that my friend in Greensboro will come up with something, or perhaps we'll find one in Craig's list. Thanks for Eugene, who is ready with his truck to pick it up. God, I feel better just praying publicly about this. It's not my worry any more. Even if Ashley is "mildly horrified" when she reads this, it's out there. So now, it's OUR dishwasher we're looking for. And you are helping us and guiding us and helping us provide.

Please help Ashley to feel our love and concern and to forgive our intrusion into her private life. Give us grace and help us to respect the privacy and rest she needs as much as she needs our help. Bless her with joy and laughter.

While we're praying for healing, we pray for the US and for the National Democratic Convention. Bless Michelle and Barack and protect them from lunatics and fanatics. Heal the rifts within the party and across racial lines.
And forgive me for bringing politics into this blog.
Amen.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

As Maria noted today, Ashley's dishwasher has stopped working and is in pieces in the laundry room. I have also been thinking the old one was beyond repair. After researching Consumer Reports and other on-line dishwasher reviews and consulting with Maria, we have decided to order a highly ranked Whirlpool from Best Buy tomorrow. It will cost just under $400. (Maria may know someone who can do the installation.) If everything goes well, she may have a new DW by the weekend!!

Any local friends who have also been doing dishes at the McSurely Osment household and would like to help pay for this as a gift to Ashley, please contact me.

Thanks, Caroline Sherman
csherman@nc.rr.com

Ashley Osment said...

I went to bed last night at 9 p.m., thinking this would go well with my problem of waking up at 4 a.m. every morning. If my first try at this is any gauge, it turns out that waking at 4 a.m. isn't my new normal, rather it's my mind's problem with checking out for more than five hours. So I was up with a lot on my mind at 2 a.m.

I've read all your emails and responded to a few. My poor sister, she gets my grief unadulterated. At the same time, Janey gets to see (rather than just hear about) how improved I am between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. after being washed by waves and waves of love from you all.

All the gifts that are pouring in are too much for my pride. (Cancer is too much for my pride, too.) I know I need to accept both with as much improbable grace as I can muster. So I want to say that all the love and sheer mobilization on my, Al and Sunny's behalf are helping us a great deal and we will forever be grateful.