Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thank you, God

I'm still walking a few inches above ground and thanking God for the miracle that is taking place in Ashley. The tumors ARE shrinking! As Al reports in his 4th update, they are smaller and fewer in number.
As I heard Ashley cough all week, I hoped and prayed that it was a healing cough. Caroline and I were just talking about this: could it be that her lungs were getting rid of the tumors? Apparently, they are. With help from chemicals, vitamins, lots of prayers and Ashley's indomitable resolve, her body is healing.

Ashley said tonight: "I still want them [the tumors] to miraculously disappear!" And I assured her I would continue to pray for a full and total disappearance of the tumors. But, as I said in previous postings, miracles sometimes take time. While we watch this one unfold, we can exercise our faith. so maybe the next one will be easier. : )

God, I thank you for the miracle of healing. I can picture Jesus sitting next to Ashley's bed--I picture him dressed in an old t-shirt and those old men's shorts Ashley loves so much--keeping a long vigil and praying each night while Ashley sleeps. I picture Jesus' light and love filling that bedroom and spreading all the way up to Sunny's, filling everyone in that house with peace and rest. It's a comforting image that reflects how I understand you, God. The essence of love and care: like a mother or a sister or a father who is willing to trade places with us to ease our suffering--or at least stay awake while we rest in the knowledge of their love and care. And I thank you that I have known this kind of love in my life, which probably makes it possible for me to believe in a loving God. Thank you God for a faith, even if it is filled with doubts, that allows me to pray and hope.

Thank you, again, for Ashley's healing. Please continue to heal her in body and Spirit. Amen.

No comments: