Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ashley's Garden

This email was received from Elizabeth today:
Hello out there, Ashley/Al/Sunny Cosmic Fan Club--
I'm sure some of you have heard Ashley make the comment that she wants to plant a perennial garden with some fruit trees. It was the one thing she told me soon after she got the news of the recurrence. So a good friend of mine, who is a professional landscaper, is making some beds in front of the house. She and I went over and met with Ashley a week or so ago to work out a design. My thinking is that some of you all may have gardens of your own with some plants you want to divide this fall, and that you might get a kick out of contributing a little plant or shrub or two to the mix. I've seen a fewbulbs on her counter sent from well-wishers, so this may already be happening. Ashley also wants to plant a fig tree or some other type of fruit tree as well. If you're interested in this project, it may well take very little coordination. Once we get the beds put in, people can just bring stuff byand put it in the ground. So let me know if you want on this train, and I'll email you the design plan. If there's one of you out there with superb technical know-how, like Tanya with her meal calendar website, who might volunteer to put the design plan on a website that we could all go to and fill in when we've planted something, chime in!Elizabeth M. Haddix (emhaddix@embarqmail.com)

I (Maria) would like to add:
I'm TERRIBLE with plants, which is so ironic, because my mom is a landscape architect and I went to every garden show and every nursery in the city, if not the country, when I was growing up. What I can do is help somebody who can tell me exactly what to do and can supervise so I don't mess anything up. I know Ashley has some friends that may not want to carry stuff, get in the dirt, etc. I can meet them at the house and follow their instructions. Let me know if anyone needs help. I'd love to feel useful and see a plant I've helped with actually grow. Maria (mtpalmer@ncat.edu)

GOD, THANK YOU for the beauty of plants and for the love of friends. Bless Ashley and please continue to obliterate those tumors. May your healing and love be felt by Ashley today. Amen.

No comments: