Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Decorating for Ashley

This morning I woke up early and barged in on Ashley to "pray on her" before her scan. She was upstairs going through pictures and had the most self-satisfied smile on her face. She's ordered a scanner and has all kinds of plans for albums and digital collections. She took a look at my sleepless, headachy, pale face and laughed. "This is harder for y'all than it is for me right now," she declared. I don't think so. But it's undoubtedly kept many of us up. Done wonders for our prayer life.

Then we went to see the new house, on the corner of Cameron and Wilson, provided by UNC as a refuge from the noise for Ashley and her family. Ashley likes the place and believes it is perfect for the Mi Escuelita reunion party we are planning for October: Huge yard, big porch, large dining room and living room. So we went through all the rooms looking and making plans and talking about the irony of her getting the house that she wanted to make into a Charter School , if only the owner had agreed to sell about 10 years ago! Back when we had plans of living in the magical Mi Escuelita world forever...

Ashley is hoping to decorate the place, which is sparsely furnished, and make it more homey. She's thinking of making it more welcoming and cheerful for Sunny, since She and Sunny will probably be spending a lot of time there. Since neither one of us has the decorating gene, I offered to post this request. Of course Ashley said "I've already asked for so much." Which I refuse to even discuss. I've already told her in her case it's more blessed to receive than to give, because she's blessing all those she allows to be more blessed giving than receiving... somehow it made sense when I said it. Y'all understand.

So, if you like decorating, have an eye for such things, and would like to help, please email me or Ash with ideas/suggestions/offerings. For example: ALL the walls are bare. Do you have a great picture to loan for a year? A hanging? An area rug? A flower arrangement you could bring over before the weekend of 9/12? The porch also has absolutely no furniture. That would need to be something not valuable (as in thrift-shop bound), as it's outside and facing Cameron. Do you have matching bead spreads for twin beds?

I'm going to stop here and get Ashley to make a wish list. Also, I know there are some of her friends that could have their own TV show, judging by your beautiful homes. If you have time, would you please work your magic in a room of this house?

God, I know I'm obsessing about this decorating rather than thinking about Ashley's scan. I pray that everything went smoothly. I pray for good news tomorrow. Bless Ashley and fill her with healing love. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi all you loves in and around Chapel Hill,

As to bare walls: How about going through Ashley's amazing photography with her and picking out a few of her favorites to make into posters on photo mount at a local Kinkos...?

Thinking so positively for everyone, y'all might just start feeling floaty, -Allison

EliV said...

I have matching twin bed spreads! A bit old timey but they might be just right. Eli