Friday, September 5, 2008

Miracles

A friend of Ashley's wrote me an email today which started like many other emails I have received:

"Maria -- You may not remember me -- we met .... at Ashley's house...."

I think I've met 90% of the interesting and wonderful people I know at Ashley's house. It's been a refuge for so many progressives, intelectuals, community organizers, young activists, young parents, and over-protected children yearning to be free (like my three). But I digress.
This friend of Ashley's went on to say that she enjoys the postings, and that she wants to "be helpful -- to Ashley and her core friends -- however I can. I'm new to this area, and she has been an amazing friend in the very short time I've known her. She's just so great. "

I am copying my response to her here, because I'm getting a lot of offers of support, and truly I want everyone to know I'm not overwhelmed--and that it is a joy to pray and to help. I'm really doing very little, it's just that I write about it. But read what I wrote Ash's friend:

Thanks for your email and for checking in. I'm truly glad to be able to do the little bits and pieces I do. You wouldn't believe how many people are pitching in. REALLY gifted people who cook the most amazing vegan stuff, friends who know about medications, PIC lines, dishwashers, Budhist meditation, and just about everything and anything Ashley needs. When I'm at her house the phone doesn't stop ringing with messages of concern and support. I've never been turned down when I've asked somebody for help. So, I feel incredibly blessed to be able to just be there for Ash and communicate to others her needs when she needs a go-between. By the way, this is not that needed as of late, since Ashley is feeling better and she is able to coordinate her own help. In part I think this is also due to her realizing how she is blessing others in letting them cook, clean, run errands, and in general feel useful. Mostly, Ashley (and I, and I'm sure all her other friends) appreciate the love and availability of those who write, email and call. Please keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming.
Maria

God,
Thanks for all the good friends that treasure Ashley. Thank you that she is feeling their love, even when it is sent from thousands of miles away, as with Matthew H.D. Stewart. Bless him for making us laugh. Bless Ashley as she "puts all her strength behind a miracle." I know you smiled when you heard those words. Yesterday she proclaimed she wanted the tumors to miraculously disappear. I told her sometimes miracles take time. We both smiled. It sounds so ridiculous, like I'm a doctor telling a patient "take your medicine, the fever will go down in 24 hours..." Am I a miracle expert? I sure did sound like one last night. I guess I do feel like a miracle expert sometimes. I think I can look back and point to dozens. I still remember Gladys trying to tell the surgeon that she thanked him and God for a miracle. Her tumor--which was supposed to leave her paralized or dead--had pealed off from inside her vertebrae. The doctor said he couldn't have hoped for better. Glady's attempts came out sounding something like "doctor, you is God. miracle." The doctor, a deeply religious African-American neurosurgeon looked at me and started to laugh. He said "Reverend, please explain that I am definitely NOT God, but that I do agree it was a miracle." Then he pointed to the ceiling and said "Dios miracle. No me. I just did surgery."

God, we're all doing all we know how with the gifts you have given us. We're "just" doing our part. And Ashley is giving it 100%. She is also waiting for a miracle. And we are trusting that it is happening in her, even as we go about our jobs and other responsibilities today. Please guide the doctors, the nutritionist, the cooks, the nurses, and work this perfect miracle of healing. We ask in all humility, in love. Amen.

No comments: