Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

I'm praying for an Obama landslide. I'm also aware that there are all kinds of people praying for completely different results. I remember when Dukakis was the candidate and Cristobal was a little boy. When the Republicans won, he cried. "How could they not vote for Michael Dukakis? Don't they know he speaks Spanish and he belongs to the ACLU?" he asked. I had to explain to Cristobal that while those were some of the reasons we were voting for him, for many people those were reasons not to vote for Democrats. Then we all cried. We were living in West Virginia, and it was a lonely feeling watching many of our neighbors celebrate, although our music minister made a pastoral visit and confessed to us that he was a "closet democrat."

I believe that there are good and holy prayers and then there is voiced hatred and fear. Probably on both sides. I've caught myself wishing ugly things. Then I ask God to forgive my flights of fantasy and help me to have the wisdom that could help people catch a vision of what this country could become. How close can we come to MLK's dream? To the beloved community?

On the way to work this morning I saw a mother and son (about 10 years old I guess), standing in the rain on MLK Boulevard with Obama signs. I was inspired. I wish Ashley and I and Sunny and Sofia and all our friends were in good enough health and were able to do the same. I'm glad Ashley is working with the Center for Civil Rights today responding to calls. Not bad for a gal past her 12-weeks of life expectancy! Ash, you are also our inspiration.

God, I pray for good news for Ashley. I pray for kindness and civility and for a glimpse at our better selves today at the polls. I pray for many years of continuing to work with Al and Ashley to make our society more just and equal. Bless Ash with strength and health. Amen.

No comments: