Sunday, November 30, 2008

CH News Article, Responses

The article about Ashley's cancer came out today in the CH News. I've been holding my breath, shy about writing my prayers as I worried about what strangers might think about my faith, my motives, etc. Then on Wednesday I called the editor and asked that they take out the references to this blog. I felt that it would be such an invasion of Ashley's privacy, for everybody and anybody to read our prayers. Maybe it was more my own feeling of inadequacy. I hope not. Now, reading some of the emails I've received, I'm not so sure I should have kept this prayer blog private. There is a whole community out there fighting cancer and struggling, and they are doing it with courage and grace and love.
From Illinois I got this email:

Hi Maria,

As the husband of a woman who has worked through two bouts of treatment for
ovarian cancer, I set up a Google search on new treatments for the disease.
Can't say there's been much breakthrough news the last 4 years, but I keep
looking.

Your story on your friend Ashley did show up in my inbox, however. Thanks
for communicating some of the challenges and pain in treating this disease.
I am sorry she is fighting cancer in other areas of her body. We had some
move into the abdominal cavity and treated it with interperitoneal
chemotherapy, which was rough.

Last fall when my wife's cancer returned after a year it was most shocking,
and it cost her emotionally in many ways. But we went after it again. So far
it has not returned. But we hold our breath every appointment.

Obviously we've been changed too. You are right about looking into the
future. It can be tough.

But the present has enough challenges. Here's a little prayer that you can
continue to meet them together.


Christopher L. Cudworth
367 Republic Road
Batavia, IL 60510
Cudworthfix@gmail.com

I've also heard from folks in Durham and Chatham, some know Ashley, some don't. They ALL wish her healing and peace. As the Moravians say, they're holding her in the Light.

God, Thank you for our common humanity and for a glimpse at what is good in people. Thank you for Thanksgiving and the amazing joy that Ashley's family brought to Chapel Hill. Thank you for letting me get acquainted with Laura's beautiful singing and sense of humor and Katie's patience and loving care for her siblings. Thank you for Joe and his beautiful manners and eagerness to help and be useful. Thanks for Keaton and Jesse. Thanks for Sunny and her joy and laughter. Your love was everywhere, God. It filled the space between us and warmed us and blessed our fellowship. Maybe your love was in our fellowship, and that's why we felt your presence. Did you laugh at our jokes and enjoy our music? Thanks for music and laughter.

God, we need a miracle of healing and we're asking for it today. In the name of our love and joy, and in the name of Jesus, our guide and healer, we pray for every cancer cell in Ashley's body to respond to the chemotherapies, past or yet to come. We pray for complete cleansing of Ashley's lungs. Because we love her and we know the world is better for her being in it, we ask boldly. May it be so. Amen.

No comments: