Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Inspiration from the Mountains

It was an icredibly busy weekend and now it's half-way through the week and I'm still feeling like it's Monday.
I spent the weekend in Asheville with Benji looking at UNCA. He's going to apply and hopes to attend school in the mountains. I couldn't help but think about Ashley the whole time. She must have been inspired by those mountains from an early age. I can picture her--a radical feminist, probably by age 5, trying to fight for justice while singing and dancing and looking like a cute little imp. Sorry, Ash, but your pictures of when you were little are pretty funny.

I thought the motto of UNCA is great: I will lift up my eyes onto the hills.

I tried to make some posts from the hotel, but I couldn't connect to this blog. I kept hoping somebody else would post a prayer, and was thankful to see Barb's thoughts/prayers, but sorry I couldn't share my response. It really was amazing how the majesty of the mountains makes you feel so small and yet so much a part of the world. Sort of protected.

God, I thank you for this beautiful earth. I have lifted my eyes onto the mountains and sensed your power and glory. I ask that some of that awesome power will heal Ashley. Returning from Asheville I couln't help but notice how good she looks. She has gained weight, she is smiling a lot more, and running, and going to Sunny's games. I thank you and praise you for this, Creator of the mountains and the trees and the blue skies. I pray that you will give Ashley the strength she needs to continue her journey towards healing and wholeness. Restore her lungs to complete health, I pray. Give her rest and joy today and each day. As each of us prays in the name by which we know you, I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

zyrusun said...

I am so glad that someone shared this page with me. I am one of the many souls that Ashley inspires. I know Ashley for the work that she has done in Wayne County. I think of her daily and struggle to uderstand why someone so incredible must be put through such a trial. The only answer that I have been able to find is that as huge as the fight I have with my children's school system is, it is nothing in comparison to Ashley's fight. In this I can find some understanding.The impossible tasks that seem hopeless at times become possibilities, because my struggle in nothing compared to hers. I hope she knows that she stills brings strength to all of us.She carries an inner power that touches people in such huge ways. Even if that contact is brief she makes anything seem possible. She is the reason that I entered graduate school, she probably has no idea that with her words of encouragement she made me believe that I could.
Please let her know that she is dearly loved in Wayne County that I think of her daily. I pray for her return to good health, and for peace for her family.